• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar

Christian Action League

Defending North Carolina Families and Christian Heritage

  • Home
  • About CAL
    • Our Director
    • Statement of Faith
  • Connect
  • Donate
  • Contact Us
  • Home
  • Pro Life
  • Marriage
  • 1st Amendment
  • Alcohol
  • Gambling
  • Marijuana
  • Rev. Creech’s Commentary
  • Other Issues
You are here: Home / Christian Action League / Johnston County DA Enforces Ban on Internet “Sweepstakes Cafés”

Johnston County DA Enforces Ban on Internet “Sweepstakes Cafés”

By Pam Blume
Christian Action League
September 19, 2014

Johnson CountySMITHFIELD – Last week, “The CAL Insider” reported on the current status of the internet sweepstakes gambling ban passed by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2010 and upheld by the State Supreme Court in 2012.

Read previous story: ‘Gaming’ the System: AKA How to Play Gambling ‘Whack-a-Mole’

“Sweepstakes Cafés” have attempted to circumvent the ban by installing “pre-reveal” software that allows the customer to purchase internet time and see what prize is revealed before the game is played, thus allegedly eliminating “chance” and legitimizing the game with the new law, according to café owners.

This has resulted in some confusion and conflicting opinions on the legality of the “pre-reveal” software in the lower courts and with local law enforcement, but the State Attorney General’s office insists the law is clear and makes no exception for “pre-reveal” software. Some district attorney’s and local law enforcement have been reluctant to enforce the law until the issue is clearly settled.

However, this week the Raleigh News and Observer (N&O) reported that Johnston County District Attorney, Susan Doyle, is giving internet sweepstakes businesses in her county about 45 days to shut down or face the possibility of criminal charges.

Doyle has sent a letter to sweepstakes establishments in Johnston County declaring authorities have determined they are operating illegally; and her office will start issuing criminal charges on or after November 1.

Doyle said an investigator from the district attorney’s office and a sheriff’s deputy served letters on 14 sweepstakes businesses and she intends to serve every such business in the county.

The N&O reported “Most sweepstakes businesses were open Wednesday, but Craig Johnston, who works at the M&M Cyber Center in Clayton, said the store planned to close before Nov. 1.”

Besides the “pre-reveal” software changes, some sweepstakes cafés are using “game-of-skill” systems, another form of revised computer software meant to circumvent the law. “But North Carolina’s law against video sweepstakes gambling is strong according to our state’s Supreme Court,” said Dr. Mark Creech, executive director of the Christian Action League. “That’s why law enforcement and prosecutors should act on the law,” he added.

Dr. Creech also said, “We should be delighted and thankful to God for this good news from Johnston County. These dens of theft, these ports of predatory practice are on the run for now, and we’ve got to get them completely out of our state. I appreciate the courage and tenacity of District Attorney, Susan Doyle. Perhaps her bold action will move other DAs and law enforcement to move ahead and protect the public from this most addictive form of gambling. Counties that have Sweepstakes Cafés remaining have an open sewer in their midst and authorities need to take the necessary steps and stop dragging their feet and lingering in doubt about enforcing the law.”

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Share this:

  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Filed Under: Christian Action League

We Need Your Help

In these trying times, your support can make a real difference. Please consider making a donation to the Christian Action League today. Your contributions are vital in enabling us to continue our important work. Please click here to make a secure donation.

Primary Sidebar

A Special Message from Dr. Mark Creech

Archives

Cartoons

More Cartoons

Legislative Wrap-ups

RSS ONN News

Verse of the Day

Click here to visit BRC News

Copyright © 2026 Christian Action League of North Carolina, Inc · Web Design by OptimusMedia.com · Log in